The Ocean Springs Fire Department was first organized on October 30th, 1880, and became the first "chartered" Fire Company in the State of Mississippi on September 22nd, 1881 with their motto being "To the Rescue". Today, we still have the same motto but presently hold a Class 4 fire rating from the Mississippi State Rating Bureau and are made up of 37 personnel. We operate out of three stations with three-twenty-four hour rotating shifts with each shift having eleven personnel. Each shift includes a Battalion Chief, three Lieutenants, and seven Firefighters. The Fire Department Administration includes a Chief, Deputy Chief, Training Chief, and Fire Marshal. Our personnel are heavily trained in all aspects of emergency response, mitigation, and prevention, and strive to provide excellent service to the public in any situation or circumstance where our presence is requested.
The mission of the Ocean Springs Fire Department is to provide those services designed to protect life, property, and the environment from any adverse effect in a safe, professional, and compassionate manner.