Proposed Urban Renewal Plan
The City of Ocean Springs Proposed Urban Renewal Project.
Urban Renewal is the key to sustainable development. The purpose is to develop and redevelop various areas within the City. Urban Renewal projects are used to enhance economic development.
PROPOSED URBAN RENEWAL AREA:
The city has one proposed urban renewal area.
- What is the city’s urban renewal project?
Urban renewal is the key to sustainable development. The purpose is to develop and redevelop various areas within the City. Urban Renewal projects are used to enhance economic development.
An urban renewal governing body is established (the Redevelopment Authority) and a plan is created to demonstrate how this tool can help improve the area. The goal of urban renewal is to support economic development and community improvements by encouraging private development, and by financing public projects.
- Ways to achieve goals under the Urban Renewal Plan?
- rehabilitation and renovation of structures including historic preservation
- acquisition of property within the Urban Renewal Area
- demolition and removal of structures
- construction of improvements
- How does the city determine the Urban Renewal Area?
The city’s planner identified that the following conditions present barriers to the “growth of Ocean Springs and constitute an economic and social liability to the proposed renewal areas and the City as a whole.”
- Deteriorated or deteriorating structures
- Defective or inadequate street layout
- Faulty lot layout in relation to size
- Adequacy or usefulness
- Deteriorated site and/or site improvements
URBAN RENEWAL PLAN TIMELINE:
Urban renewal is designed to benefit people within the urban renewal area, in surrounding neighborhoods, and throughout the city. Benefits from the results of urban renewal include job and economic opportunities, better planning, more public spaces, more efficient traffic patterns, and more enjoyable amenities. A more vibrant area will draw businesses, and residents, and stimulate the local economy.
The city offered residential property owners a chance to opt out of the current proposed plan. The deadline to opt out was October 31, 2023.
Read the state statute.
If you have questions regarding the proposed Urban Renewal Plan, please send them to email@example.com.